Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A delicate balance

As a budding entrepreneur and as a mom to a 2 year old son, I am constantly trying to find balance between working on my business and being an attentive mother. I love my son and we do keep busy - playing outside, walking to the park, coloring, playing (eating?) with playdoh and building kugelbahns (marble tracks!) but I also take time for myself throughout the day - time to blog, time to sew, time to list, time to promote. And sometimes this time spent is at my son's expense. He gets restless and comes and tugs on my hand, asking me to build yet another kugelbahn or make a tower of blocks. I know his playing by himself helps build his imagination and independence so it's not like I feel guilty about typing this post as he sits in my laundry basket, hording all the pillows and blankets in the room, while watching Little Einsteins. I feel guilty when I look at the clock and half the day is done and our only interaction has been at breakfast and we've been lost in our own worlds since.

This morning I stumbled upon an amazing blog post - 94 Ways to Keep Kids Busy for the Work at Home Parent. There are home business productivity tips (for parents and kids), - like making chore charts and planning play dates- summer activity tips, links to find local kid activities but my favorite section is the craft project links. Craftforkids.com - AMAZING! I am now going to add making Plastic Cup Bug Lanterns to my list of things to do with my son. And I think I'll take on another suggestion from the article and make a "craft corner" for him so while I sew, he can create his own masterpieces and I don't have to worry about feeling that I am neglecting him. And when he gets a little older I'm breaking out a chore chart!

3 comments:

Emily of Ella-Bear Bowtique said...

Great ideas! I feel that sometimes we have the same issue in this house and that I'm not able to spend as much time with my children as I would like. Now I have some great new ideas to help with that. Thanks for posting!

MayRae said...

Those are some great ideas and I love the crafts for kids page. My daughter loves to try new crafts. Although my son, he's still a bit young and interested in how things come apart! You'll have to share the lanterns when they are done.

Mandi said...

This is great! I know the feeling of figuring out balance... It's hard when you have kids tugging at you when you're "working" but you also WANT to spend time with them... I find I do a lot during nap and bedtimes ;-)